Skip to main content

Three Spirals Theory

Religion asks the question "How do I do spirituality?"(Body)

Philosophy asks the question "How do I think spiritually?"(Mind)

Personal Development asks the question "How do I be spiritual?"(Soul)


True enlightenment comes from an understanding that the answer to any one of the above questions is to ask the other two - and therefore all three must be pursued simultaneously.







I believe that there are three distinct yet interrelated aspects to our existence. The Mind, the Body and the Soul. As we grow - we travel a path around each circle, cycling through aspects of our understanding within each of these realms. As we grow - so must our circles.

Each circle represents our understanding, our skills and our awareness within the realm of that circle's influence. The interior of the circle, or the "volume" of the circle, represents everything that we know. Outside the circle is everything we don't know. The edge, most importantly, is everything that we know that we don't know.



As we grow and develop and learn, our circles grow. As we develop our bodies, our physical strength, agility, prowess, fitness, flexibility and so on grows - and so does our circle within this model of understanding. Our awareness and ability to interact with the physical world is enhanced by growing our physicality.




We develop our mind through stimulation as well - by reading, studying, taking classes, exploring philosophy, contemplating new concepts and interacting intellectually with the people in our lives. As our minds sharpen, our circle within the model grows - representing a growth in our understanding of the universe. Our awareness of ourselves and our place in the world is enhanced by growing our intellect.



And - just as we have throughout the Age of Pisces, in the Age of Aquarius, humanity will continue to seek an understanding of that great power which we can feel outside of ourselves - the "something greater than myself" which we have labelled as God, spirit, angels, collective consciousness, Mother Earth and so many other sobriquettes. (If you want to read about the Ages, I suggest checking out this Wikipedia article) In this exploration, through study of ourselves and the teachings of great prophets and teachers as well as the natural world around us, our soul grows - as does our circle within the model. Our awareness of the energies of the universe and our place within the metaphysical becomes more and more clear - enhanced by our growth of spirit.

As we grow - and our circles expand - something amazing begins to happen...



Overlaps form. Intersections of understanding - places at which our understanding of the physical world overlaps with our intellectual understanding of the world (scientific study). Places at which our understandings of the intellectual and spiritual interact (philosophical study). Places at which we see the intersection of the spiritual world and the physical world (metaphysical awareness).


But most of all... there are areas in which all three overlap. We call this enlightenment.

I believe that moments of clarity - or Eureka moments - are moments in which all three of our circles are overlapping - and we are able to bring our physical self into alignment with our understanding while simultaneously tapping into the divinity of our soul.

I am laying the groundwork in these first few posts - formulating the basic models which I will refer to regularly throughout the postings within this blog. This is one of the primary models by which I understand reality. And - the true understanding is in the following three revelations.


If you draw our progress around each of these circles as a path, assuming that the circles are growing at a steady pace and that we are growing all three at once - the ideal growth - the model shifts into a series of intersecting spirals. This creates more intersections than you can see in the flat circles... and I believe this is representative of the increasingly high frequency with which people start to have Eureka moments as they continue to actively grow at higher and higher levels of enlightenment.

The second thing to note is that newer awarenesses (the outermost rings) create enlightenment moments not only with the other outermost rings - but with inner rings as well, as they cross over. In other words - the things we learn early on become foundational points of awakening with new things which we learn as we continue to grow.

Finally - imagine what would happen if even one of the circles didn't grow. Imagine how many less intersection points there would be. Imagine how much it would stunt - or even eliminate - the ability to have an intersection of enlightenment at the center. If one area of our life remains stagnant - we are literally incapable of being truly centered.

And so we come full circle. :) From my current understanding - I believe that true enlightenment comes from understanding that to Be, we must first Think and Do. To Do, we must first Be and Think. And to Think, we must first Be and Do. True enlightened spirituality can not be attained in a silo - but instead must be attained through a continual growth in physical experience, mental understanding and spiritual awakening. Only with balanced, deep growth can we truly attain enlightenment - the eternal Eureka.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Integrity

What an amazing awakening today has been for me. On the 10th, I left for a 10-day trip to the Mediterranean. We started in Spain, then sailed to Italy, then on to France, with day trips to the Vatican and Monaco. Five countries in all, not including our stop-overs in Germany and Canada. On the trip - I was inspired... I saw so many beautiful buildings, amazing pieces of sculpture, famous paintings, ancient cities and even the enshrined resting places of some of the world's most famous people. It filled me up with this amazing sense of appreciation for the richness of our world and the beauty that it contains. My desktop background, now, is a picture of the Coliseum in Rome - a picture I took with my own camera while standing within the building itself. In my collection of photographs, I have pictures of Michaelangelo's David - and Michaelangelo's grave, where his bones lie even today. I have pictures from Pompeii - where Mt. Vesuvius destroyed a city of 20,000 people in

10/10/10 @ 10:10:10pm

Tonight was amazing... Inspired by what I had read regarding the 10/10/10 gateway and what it means for our awakening Earth ( Archangel Metatron, 09/16/2010 ), I made my way out of the house tonight, heading for Balboa Park, where I intended to sit in the rose garden and meditate as 10:10:10pm passed. As I was leaving the house, I realized that I wanted to grab my phone - only to find that while it was showing the "charging" symbol and had been plugged in for hours, it had 0% battery and was about to die... so - I left it plugged in, deciding that I didn't need it. I grabbed my journal, my flashlight, a light jacket and my bag (with a couple of bits of spiritual reading and my iPad in it) - and I set out. As I drove across San Diego, I found myself smiling at the fog which was starting to rise over the city - lowering the visibility and giving everything a sense of mystery and silence. I was having trouble keeping my window defogged, and so I drove for a while with

Tribal Leadership

David Logan's description of Tribal stages at the TED conference really struck a chord with me. I won't rehash everything that he says - because the video above is really an amazing summary of his very well-elucidated points. I will, however, add some things about cultural development. Stage Signature Motto Depth Stage 1 Life Sucks 2% Because life in general sucks, people spend most of their time feeling a constant struggle to survive. This is the culture of street gangs and prisons - and is full of despairing hostility. Stage 2 My Life Sucks 25% At least there are some people for whom life isn't completely abysmal. Cultures with this attitude live in a constant state of self-deprecation and self-pity, and most social interaction revolves around co-commiserating. Stage 3 I'm Awesome, but You Suck 48% The stereotypical culture of the highly intelligent professional, full of his or her own worth and doubting that the rest of the wo